Biking is a fabulous non-impact activity that can benefit you in so many ways! If you don’t believe us here are just five of the many benefits:
1. Saves the planet- no but really! No gas! (well unless you followed someone’s advice about the health benefits of beans)
2. Speaking of your bowel health… Physical activity “helps decrease the time it takes food to move through the large intestine, limiting the amount of water absorbed back into your body and leaving you with softer stools, which are easier to pass”
3. People who ride bikes are smarter (kind of)… “physical activity builds new brain cells in the hippocampus – the region responsible for memory”
4. You don’t have to buy a gym membership… Bike outdoors! You can enjoy the sun, soak up some vitamin D, and it’s easy on your wallet. That’s a win-win-win-win!
5. You can spend time with loved ones. When I think of a health focused family outing, a packed gym with sweaty people isn’t necessarily the first thing that pops into my mind… A nice bike ride with a picnic afterwards sounds much more family friendly, but to each their own.
And here’s the best part about it, we don’t all need to ride over 200 miles a week to enjoy biking (although if you do kudos to you!) Here are some local bike paths so you can enjoy the beautiful outdoors this summer!
Franklin Park Golf Course Loop (2.5 Miles)
Southwest Corridor between Green Street and Ruggles Station (2 Miles)
Arnold Arboretum (About 4.5 Miles, length can be modified up to 12 Miles)
Learn about the benefits of running in Why Run?